Thursday, May 19, 2005

Trying it again

I'm not going to allow knitted socks to defeat me, I've almost finished one I'm trying on 2 circular needles and although it'll be a bit big I can wear them for slipper socks when I make the other one. I'm at the toe decreases now and since it's kind of one that I'm winging and not following a pattern I'm doing the decreases the way I want, it's practice, so I'll find out what works and what doesn't.

Today I went to my LYS and bought a set of dpn in size 3 which is the largest size recommended for socks. They're bamboo from Clover and I wish I hadn't wanted them now, I could have ordered the same thing from Herrschners for about half the price and waited about a week to get them in. I might do that from now on, this LYS is pretty pricey on everything. Their wool/nylon sock yarn is almost $9 per 50g ball and I can get wool/nylon sock yarn from Herrschnerrs for less than half that for a 50g ball-in fact, I could buy 4 balls from Herrschners for that same $9 my LYS wants for 1 ball. Sure, it's a different brand but I've never had my head turned by brands, if the yarn is the same fiber content then I will buy the lower priced one. Maybe my SIL will take the broad hint I just gave him and remember to send me some for Christmas *crosses fingers*

Anyway, this time I'm not going to let knitting socks on dpn defeat me. Right now I'm practicing on some leftover baby yarn since it's the same weight as sock yarn and maybe by the time I can get some sock yarn I will have mastered the knit sock-either on dpn, circular or both.

The knitted sock will fall to me!!

No comments: