Thursday, May 07, 2009

Socks

I posted a few posts ago that my mom wanted me to knit her some socks. Well, come to find out that, when I got ready to go get some sock yarn, my LYS had shut down. I'm not sure how long it had been shut down since I don't go downtown very much, nor do I buy yarn from there very often because I just don't have the money.

Anyway, since Wal-Mart doesn't carry sock yarn, I went to KnitPicks and ordered some of their Essential sock yarn in Glacial and Terrain Twist to do mom some socks in. I also ordered some of the Options fixed circular needles, some Palette yarn and Gloss yarn to get my order to over $50 while I had the money and could get free shipping.

Since this was the first time I've ordered from KnitPicks, I wasn't sure what I would be getting, I just knew that they had the most reasonably priced yarn and needles that I'd ever seen. When my yarn and needles came in, I was pleasantly surprised-the Essential yarn is exactly what I wanted: soft, snuggly and cushy and washable. My mom is diabetic and I wanted something really soft, yet still washable. When I started knitting them, the needles, to me, were as good as Addi Turbos at about a third of the price.

The pattern I decided on while waiting for my yarn to come in is a free one from Knitting Pattern Central-Tadpole Socks which I'm doing in the Glacial, and they're coming out very well. As soon as I can get a picture, I'll show you-hopefully.

I also started me a pair of socks out of one of the Palette yarns I ordered, and am doing it in the same pattern. Now, while the yarn is pretty soft, it's not nearly as soft as the Essential, but it will do for me since I'm not diabetic and the price is right-I'll just have to hand wash them. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with the Gloss, but I really like how soft it is-probably make more socks for myself since it isn't washable either.

All in all, I'm going to order more Essential for myself sometime-next time I get another $50 or more to get free shipping, and make me some washable socks-and I do like handmade socks better-mostly because they're unique and I can make them to fit me instead of the one size things in the store.

I'll keep you all updated as I progress-the pattern is easy, I had the lace part memorized after the first repeat.

No comments: