Tuesday, November 30, 2010

It's amazing what your brain can think of.

Especially early in the morning. After I finished my oatmeal, and as I was sipping my second cup of coffee and working on my hairpin lace, I got to thinking about how I could make another hairpin fork. I'm not sure how it would work yet, but if I use the one I have as a template I can get the measurements right for the spacers, and even create custom spacers. This last came after I saw what one woman made (to avoid paying through the nose for one) to get a six-inch fork-ugly, but it worked. However, I think I could make one that size and still have it look nice, and still for much, much less than buying one already made. Personally, I don't see the need for making strips less than four inches wide, but I could see the need for six-inch-wide strips, or wider, though the fork would be a bit unwieldy if it were much bigger than six inches, I think.

All I'll need are two long sticks (skinny dowels or small knitting needles would do) and something to make the spacers with. I'm thinking about making them out of several layers of plastic canvas hot-glued together like stacked pancakes. All I would need to do is to snip a small hole where I wanted my spacers, then glue them together between the holes.

It would come in handy if I wanted to have more than one project going or just to have more than one strip of a single project going. Either way, it's always handy to have spares, no?

I'll let you know when I have it all figured out.

No comments: