Thursday, December 15, 2011

Knitted gloves on two needles

You know, there are countless patterns out there for knitted gloves-both for sale and for free. Most of those patterns call for either one long circular needle for magic loop, two circular needles (used a lot like dpns, but better) or double pointed needles (dpns).

But what about those of us who don't like/are intimidated by knitting in the round, especially socks or gloves? I've seen sock patters for two needles, but very few glove patterns for two needles (though I admit I haven't done a thorough search. But I have a feeling that there aren't very many anyway, either for free or for sale.)

Therefore, I am attempting to knit a pair of fingerless gloves with partial fingers in them for my SiL, whose steering wheel is very cold when the weather is cold, but he likes having the ends of his fingers free. I suspect what I come up with could also be used to make full gloves as well (just keep knitting the fingers till they're long enough.)

My premise is that I can knit the glove in one piece with only one side seam and then the finger seams. We'll see what I come up with. When it goes up, naturally it will be free for personal use/gift-giving. Just credit me for the design if anyone asks where you got the pattern, as a courtesy to my hard work.

Oh, and I do like knitting in the round, but this is for those of you who are intimidated by it or who can do it but just don't like it.

No comments: